It attracts you with its lingering aroma. But what many do not know is that Cardamom is not just a flavouring agent but a wonderful spice with innumerable health benefits!
It is believed to have originated in the Indian subcontinent and has always been an important ingredient in Ayurveda and also traditional Chinese medicine.
It was believed to benefit the teeth and help ease gum and throat problems, lung congestion etc and was even used as an antidote for snake bites and other venomous bites.
The smell of this spice resulted in it being an integral part of Indian cuisine. It is used in foods ranging from spicy dishes to desserts and beverages. Also, Cardamom tea is a popular beverage in India along with ginger tea.
The medical benefits of Cardamom have been studied in-depth and research has shown conclusive results. Here are 7 astonishing benefits of this wonderful smelling spice:
1. It is anti-carcinogenic – Studies that were performed at the Chittaranjan National Cancer institute in Calcutta have shown that cardamom counteracts Colorectal cancer(up to 48%!).
2. Excellent for cardiovascular health – Modern day research has proved that the use of cardamom resulted in a lower heart beat rate and also controlled high blood pressure.
3. Controls cholesterol – Cardamom has many nutrients in it which counteract the surge of lipid levels in the blood. This, in effect, results in the ‘control’ of cholesterol levels.
4. It is an anti-depressant – Cardamom finds its place in aromatherapy, for its aroma. Its smell has a soothing effect on the human mind.
5. Fights urinary disorders – Cardamom helps the body fight against gonorrhea, cystitis etc.
6. Fights dental diseases – Cardamom’s antimicrobial properties help in killing harmful microbes, thereby promoting healthy teeth.
7. It detoxes – Cardamom nullifies and flushes out toxins that are formed in the body as a result of many metabolic processes.
To know more about Cardamom’s benefits or about the importance of having an Ayurvedic touch to your diet, please feel free to get in touch with us.