To serve 6 persons
|Chicken medium pieces||1.25 kg|
|Sliced onion||1 kg|
|Ginger crushed||2 nos (2 inch piece)|
|Garlic crushed||10 big cloves|
|Green chillies crushed||10 nos|
|Country tomatoes slice||4 nos (medium)|
|Coriander leaves chopped||85 g|
|Mint leaves chopped||75 g|
|Refined oil||100 ml|
|Green cardamom||5 nos|
|Cinnamon stick||2 nos (1 inch)|
|Melam Kozhikode Biriyani Masala||2 – 3 tbsp|
|Water||2 cups (1 cup is 150 ml)|
|To make Ghee Rice|
|Refined oil||70 ml|
|Kaima Rice||5 cups (1 cup – 200 g)|
|Hot water||7 ½ cups (1 cup is 150 ml)|
|Green Cardamom||½ tsp|
|Mace scraped||½ tsp|
• Heat oil in a heavy bottomed handi and add the whole spices.
• Once the spices splutter add the sliced onions.
• Saute the onions until they start turning colour.
• Add the crushed ginger, garlic and green chilli and saute until the raw smell is gone.
• Add the Melam Kozhikode Biriyani Masala and sauté for a minute, followed by the tomatoes.
• Once the tomatoes are mashed and the oil starts separating, add curd and then chicken. Saute for a while and add water.
• Cook further till the oil separates again. Season with salt.
• Finish with the chopped mint and coriander leaves.
• Layer with cooked ghee rice and serve hot.To make Ghee RiceCooking method:
• Wash and drain the rice.
• Heat oil and ghee in a thick bottomed vessel.
• Add the spices and sliced onion, till onion becomes soft.
• Add the rice and saute till the rice is coated with oil.
• Add water and salt and mix well.
• When water level goes below the rice level, cover with a tight fitting lid.
• Transfer the vessel on to a pre-heated tawa.
• Cook further for 10 minutes on a very low flame and switch of the flame and leave it on the tawa.